Robbie Bach: Video Interview Summer 2005
Extensive video interview with Xbox's top man, on many Xbox 360 topics, including "approachability", world-wide launch factors, the launch price, shortages, all aspects of the hardware, how Xbox strategy has indeed evolved, market leadership timeframe and Xbox in 15 years.
Robbie Bach is top of the Xbox tree. As Chief Xbox Officer, he directs a global Microsoft division. He's responsible for managing the Xbox business, including the teams that oversee hardware, third-party games development, Microsoft Game Studios titles, marketing, research, sales and support.
And when he's not doing all that he's probably doing a presentation complete with green lights and fake audiences full of models, explaining that Xbox 360 will be the most powerful gaming platform this generation. It's a lot of work. But he still has time for Kikizo.
This sizable video interview comes in at over 25 minutes and covers a whole load of stuff, including some essential new tidbits. The agenda in full:
- Microsoft's first console transition
- More details on the Silver and Gold subscriptions
- What will be new with gameplay - "Gotham TV" etc
- New gameplay ingredient called "approachability" in all games to make games easier for novice players
- Video chat, movies, music integrated into the platform
- 160 titles in development - "great experiences every month"
- Titles at launch and the launch window plan...
- Connectivity - "we want 50% of users subscribed"
- Media Center in the box, including recorded TV shows.
- Plugging in digital cameras and music players via USB
- The launch price. "Ha ha ha!"
- Wireless controllers and wired controllers.
- An adapter for old Xbox controllers?
- Xbox 360 controllers working on PC - a great customer convenience.
- Keyboard support - certainly possible...
- Voice support in titles like Final Fantasy XI
- "The world's best controller"
- Thirdparty controllers
- Two wired controller ports, a step backwards
- How many SKUs [different bundles] at launch? SKU contents?
- Flash memory - 64MB big enough?
- The same Halo 3 / PS3 spoiler question we asked J - as much time as needed...
- Approach to firstparty content changing over the last 3-4 years - "our approach has changed"...
- Fewer firstparty titles, more AAA - thirdparties already offering excellent volume.
- Microsoft's integration team that works across the organisation to make sure the Xbox business plan is in sync and the process works
- The true genius in 360 games - won't be seen until Beta dev kits are out (E3 kits were alpha)
- Worldwide launch - making sure the content is in place...
- Worldwide launch - what else needs to be taken care of for simultaneous roll-out? Logistics?
- Worldwide launch - pricing in different territories? Expected price point in local currency...
- Shortages - how to meet the challenge? "Launch and leave mentality"
- The 2005/2006 software line-up for existing Xbox users... "our best line-up ever"
- Xbox Live on the existing Xbox
- The future of the Xbox business - market leadership within five years
- "The idea of interactive entertainment will be fundamentally very different to what it is today..." - Xbox in 10-15 years.
Our thanks to Robbie for his time.
Interview conducted by Daniel Pelfrey and Adam Doree
(See Latest Videos & Video FAQ Here)
|PLEASE DO NOT DIRECT LINK TO ANY MEDIA FILE ON KIKIZO|
Robbie Bach Video Interview
Hi quality version
Robbie Bach Video Interview